2009年6月15日 星期一

Car fixing weekend


I spent the weekend trying to figure out what's wrong with my Accord, and it turned out to be this small thing... I think what my friend Helen said is right, I actually was re-inventing the wheel. All I need is call Honda and they might be able to solve this through the phone.

The thing is, I realized the problem sort of step by step. Let me tell the story from the very beginning. That's the Friday night my wife and I wanted to rent a DVD from Red box after a interesting bible study at our Pastor's house. While trying to find the closest hotel for a family from the south after we rent the DVD, I told my wife to wait in the car. It's a warm night so we just let the windows open, and she just pulled up the lock through the opened window. My accord got an anti-theft system that should start honking once you do that, at least I had that experience before. However, the system wasn't initiated. After I finally pointed out a nearby Sheraton for them and got back to the car ready to go home, the car started to honking and the head lights began to blink right after I started the engine. It's kind of embarrassing because lots of people were in the parking lot in the midnight for God knows what reason. So I managed to drive a little bit away from them, turned on the light, and tried to figure out what to do next. At the mean time, the honking started to disappear, and the light stopped to blinking. So stupid I thought everything is fine now. (Bear with me, it's a relative long story)

After stupid KFC went home and shut down the engine, he realized the thing hasn't ended because the light was still blinking. So he again tried to start and shut the engine to see if he could solve that. After he finally decided to give up but then changed his mind go back to the car, the lights stopped blinking while he tried to open the door by the key. Stupid KFC again thought everything's solved.

Next morning, I finally found out the gearshift was not able to be switched to it other than the "park" gear. I then started to do the "re-inventing" wheel research. Part of the reason is now I'm just a poor grad student but not an emergency physician. Through the help of the friend of one of the friends in the bible study group, now I learn how to manually shift the gear to other then park. (there's a small hole by the gearshift, just open that and try to stick something like you key in there does the trick) In the mean time, I managed to drain out the battery in order to reset the computer (some ppl suggest remove it, although I can't do that). All these didn't solve my problem but made it worse, now I can't even start my engine.

Finally I called for help. Through the sprint roadside rescue plan I got the service from AAA. The dude got the tip by teaching me how to simple unlock the antitheft (turn left twice then right once on the door). But then after he left I figured the gearshift was still stocked in park gear. He came back and did the same trick as above, however, he agreed that I may need a check in the dealer. I drove the car to the dealer but changed my mind to do some research, since sticking into the hole make me able to drive it.

All of the sudden something came to my mind while driving on I83: how about the honk? Is the honk working? Then I found out it is not working. Then the probable solution all these crap seems to be the fuse! I then did the research and found out many ppl had this kind of experience! Then the fuse I saw is just above in the picture, that easy!!

Profession is like that, right? God may be telling me something through all these problem solving and research! I now am happily drive my car again!

3 則留言:

  1. What an experience! I would have given up and called the dealer. The very thought of changing the fuse is intimidating enough for me, not to mention the whole process of figuring out the problem. I hope I will not encounter this kind of problems in US and if I do, I will definitely call this amazing emergency doctor/engineer for help XD

    回覆刪除
  2. However, car fixing is extremely expensive here. If they open your hood for a diagnostic checkup, you'll need to pay 75-100 US$! That's why lots of ppl are reluctant to go to the dealer. (But calling them is free!! However, it happened during the weekend...) Buy a new car!

    回覆刪除
  3. 首先... 看圖看到一個 fuse...
    英文想略過了 XD

    回覆刪除